Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun

Every week, I look up papers about stuff that comes up in group meeting that I’m rusty at or haven’t heard of, and today I stumbled upon these gems while reading about phenol oxidations using hypervalent iodine.

Read:
Tet. Lett. 1988, 29, 677-680.
J. Chem. Soc. Perkin Trans. 1993, 1891-6.

They’re published five years apart, and the data tables are exactly the same, except for one new reaction. The person that ran that reaction wasn’t even granted authorship. The Perkin paper expands on the narrative a little, refers you to a few syntheses where the methodology was employed, and has a new scheme with a proposed mechanism, but no data to back up the proposal. At least it cites the Tet. Lett…

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is it called Tetrahedron?

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Carmen said...

Like a good politician (or seminar speaker), I will throw some interesting and vaguely related other info your way, since I do not have the precise answer to your question (other than the obvious, which would be for the tetrahedral arrangement of the sp3 orbitals of a carbon-carbon single bond).
R.B. Woodward, Nobel-Prizewinning organic chemist, apparently had a hand in founding the journal. I didn't know that before.
See also this post in Tenderbutton for more commentary.
Anybody else know?

 
At 6:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It cites the Tet Lett, even if it is Ref 63! I use this method quite a lot (or did, until I got sensitised to it!) and didn't know about the Tet Lett. The 5 years must have been spent thinking. If you were looking at the paper because you actually want to do the chemistry, I found it crucial to neutralise the solution before concentrating it (see Synth Comm 1992, 22, 179), or I got black cack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home