Thursday, July 20, 2006

Serotonin is a girl's best friend

There's a cute profile in this week's Chemical and Engineering News about Raven Hanna, a Yale-trained molecular biophysicist who quit her postdoc to try science writing and eventually founded a company, Made with Molecules, to market her own line of jewelry. Her designs incorporate molecules like serotonin, acetylcholine, and dopamine, basically neurotransmitters that are known to have affect mood, concentration, etc. Neat concept. I myself am the proud owner of a double helix bracelet that I bought during a daylong conference at Cold Spring Harbor Lab. Some of the "DNA Apparel" on the latter website isn't really my cup of tea, but I suppose I'll run out of Christmas gift ideas sooner or later.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm on your Christmas list. I like the double helix!

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i saw the dopamine and seratonin

they bring to mind alexander shulgin and the Pikhal/Tikhal texts..

she'd probably make millions if she got involved with erowid and the burningman scene...

suffice to say, if she'd've had her idea 10 years earlier... the rave scene would've been perfect..

and with a PhD in chemistry... it wouldn't sound so far-fetched for some of those dastardly 'lab chemicals' to spill into her book of tattoos... perhaps n,n-dimethyl-5-hydroxytryptamine (dimethyl seratonin)...??? brilliant marketing

 

Post a Comment

<< Home